It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: I have to ask...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:44 pm 
Private 1st Class

My friend is playing in fragzone 2 and I see when he always disconnects because of "server command overflow"?

Can someone explain what that means? :o

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I have to ask...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:39 pm 
Fliegender Reporter

i am not sure..but it looks like connection interrupt,play the friend with w-lan?!have enogh connection-power?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:29 am 
Corporal

Again google is a friend :P

"What does the "Server Command Overflow" message mean?
Certain information sent from the server to the client must get processed by the client. Once a maximum amount of info is buffered on the server without the client processing it, the client gets disconnected."

From CoD2 forum:
"When a player connects to a server, a chunck of info is sent to them, called gamestate, and the max string info is part of it. The server looks for an 'echo' bounce back that confirms that the client has recieved that chunck of data. when it doesnt recieve it, it resends it until it does receive the 'echo' back.

When that player has a bad connection (caused by a range of things, one now being PunkBuster streaming to them), the server cant finalise the info sent, and so continuiously sends the data until it hits the string length problem, and so they recieve the 'server command overflow' error.

Ways to resolve it - a good connection, and dont hit a server with too many players on it."

More from CoD2 forum related to good connection -thing:
"Connection speeds pretty much depend on your ISP. I have worked for 3 in the UK, and they had differing speeds, even though theoretically they should all have had the same - 1 meg adsl should give the same speeds and packet flow regardless of your ISP, but simple fact of life they dont!

ISP speeds depend greatly on how much bandwidth the ISP has purchased wholesale from the wholesale provider (in the UK, it is BT Wholesale, who I have worked for). This dictates their contention issue control.

What is contention issue control? Well, in the UK, the law says that no ISP is allowed to 'over contend' their local service. This means that no more than 50 people using any one local loop service (a junction box outside your house somewhere).

Now, the ISP is allowed to 'time share' their bandwidth, which means that they can have more than 50 people in any local loop service (called an E1 in the UK), as they know that theoretically not every one will be using the service at the same time. So, the DSL servers (called ATM servers) are setup to only handle a set amount of data.

But, what often happens (= usually happens) is that there are freqently more than the alotted amount of people using the service at the same time, and the ISP just cannot handle it. So, they experience 'bottle necking', where large amounts of service data is waiting to get into the DSL servers, and this is why you lag.

Even if your ping is reading ok, the actual traffic of internet data will lag, as ping only reads a specific protocol (there are about 15 layers of protocols involved all at the same time when you are connecting to the net). The vital protocols (like TCP/IP and UDP) are stuck wating to get into the DSL servers, ready for processing.

these 'lags' in the system seem directly proportionate with the time of day: some times of the day the service can be really bad. For example, between 5pm and 8pm, when lots of people are using the service, the connection traffic speeds drop alarmingly.

Many, many ISPs are doing this 'time share' thing world-wide, and while they do, and more improtantly, while their servers dont contend with the traffic properly, players will experience lag.

In the UK, there are some ISPs that maintain their contention issues properly, and their ATM servers handle data traffic properly. as such, they have good reputations for excellent connection speeds. These tend to be big ISPs with a lot of money to buy large chunks of bandwidth.

On the other hand, in the UK, there are some notorious ISPs with crappy contention issues, and the connections speeds with them are horrendious."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:42 am 
Fliegender Reporter

lol..thats to describe in detail

Profile E-mail